DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS,MEANING That I GET A COMMISSION IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH MY LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ FULL DISCLOSURE HERE
Is Koyfin a good stock research and analysis platform?
Can Koyfin really help you find good stock ideas and improve your investment returns?
How does Koyfin compare with other similar platforms?
After trying out Koyfin Pro and other similar platforms such as Stock Rover, Morningstar, Simply Wall Street, and Seeking Alpha, let me share with you the main differences between them and help you make a more informed decision.
What Does Koyfin Offer?
Koyfin Global Market Data & News
Koyfin offers global market data and news.
As you can see from below, you can find US equity and other developed market data as well as emerging market data.
On top of that, you can also see fixed income, commodities, currencies data.
In terms of market news, Koyfin gets global market news, macroeconomic news, corporate events news, industry news, and company news feeds from MT Newswire which is a premium original source global financial news provider.
On top of that, Koyfin also allows you to customize news screeners to find investment ideas.
There are many different types of filters for you to customize your news screener:
- Asset Class (Equities, Forex, Commodities, etc)
- Corporate Events ( Mergers & Acquisition, Insider Buy/Sell, Shareback, FDA Approvals/Rejections, IPO news, etc)
- Industry Specific (Oil & Gas, Financials, Utilities, Healthcare, Consumer Goods, Technology, etc)
- Market Events (Analyst ratings change, Analyst downgrade, Social Buzz, etc.)
- Market Session
Koyfin has a good screener that not only allows you to screen global stock markets (US, Canada, UK, Asia, Middle East, etc) for stock ideas, but it also allows you to screen for ETFs and mutual funds listed globally.
If you invest globally, then Koyfin is a good choice to help you find potential stock ideas in international markets.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the stock screener.
It offers the following screen criteria for you to customize:
- Market data (price, volume, short interest, dividend date and frequency, 52-week high/low, price change, annual return, etc.)
- Earnings date and Fiscal year
- Technical indicators (EMA, RSI, SMA)
- Financials (Income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, margins and ratios, growth rate, etc.)
- Analyst Estimates (ratings, price targets, forward estimates, estimate revisions, etc.)
- Percentile ranks (margin and ratios, valuations, price, and performance[ percentile rank of each metric vs. a peer group])
Is this stock screener good?
Personally, I think this stock screener is very good for fundamental investors because Koyfin provides a large number of fundamental and financial metrics.
The only other powerful fundamental stock screener that I have tried is Stock Rover.
The key difference between Stock Rover and Koyfin is that Stock Rover mainly focuses on US and Canadian stocks and ETFs while Koyfin covers global stock markets and it also provides global market data on bonds and currency.
Also, Koyfin offers global market, economy, industry, and corporate news from MT Newswire and allows you to create customized news screener while Stock Rover pulls news headlines from various online sources such as Yahoo Finance, Benzinga, Wall Street Journal, Investing.com where you might need a paid subscription to read the news online.
However, Stock Rover offers better portfolio management and analytics tools by allowing you to link your brokerage accounts, rebalance your portfolio, and track and forecast your dividend payments.
Also, if you prefer to compare and analyze similar companies in the same sector, Stock Rover makes it very easy and convenient to do that.
As shown below, you can compare and analyze all the healthcare REITs very easily in terms of income, growth, profitability, cash flow, analyst estimates & ratings, dividends and etc.
However, both Stock Rover and Koyfin do not provide advanced technical charting tools and technical indicators.
Koyfin Research Tools on Stocks
Koyfin allows you to dive deep into individual stocks’ financials.
Here’s a sample overview when you click on any stock ticker.
As you can see, you will see all the general fundamental and financial information on this stock.
With Koyfin, you can also find data on the list of companies and ETFs that hold this stock.
Koyfin Financial Analysis Templates
If you are a fundamental investor who likes to dig into financial statements and data, you can use Koyfin financial analysis templates to examine the company’s financials such as profitability, income, cash flow, and growth.
This financial analysis template is useful because it allows you to see the changes in its financial performance over the past 10 years.
However, it would be much better if Koyfin could offer a tool for you to compare similar companies side by side in an interactive table as Stock Rover does.
Koyfin also offers analyst estimates and price targets if you value analysts’ opinions and want to use them to find potential investment opportunities.
You can also find analysts’ estimates for the next few years.
You can also plot fundamental graphs to compare stocks as shown below.
Lastly, you can also find relevant company news, company filing, and earnings transcripts on Koyfin, but this type of information is easily available online.
Koyfind offers three different pricing plans
- Koyfin Plus: $35/month
- Koyfin Pro: $70/month
So, what is the difference between these three pricing plans?
With the free Koyfin version, you have access to a very limited number of watchlists, screeners, financial statements, custom dashboards, and chart templates. Also, you have no access to global stock analytics, company filing and earning call transcripts, Wall Street analysts’ estimates and price targets on global stocks, company earnings and surprises on global stocks, company news, mutual fund data, and customization of financial analysis templates.
Both Koyfin Plus and Koyfin Pro give you unlimited watchlists, unlimited screens, dashboards, and chart templates. They also both give you 10 years of financial statements, full history of company filing and earning call transcripts
The main differences between Koyfin Plus and Koyfin Pro are the following:
- Only Koyfin Pro gives US mutual fund data
- Only Koyfin Pro gives you unlimited financial analysis templates
- Only Koyfin Pro gives custom calculations to apply maths operators to data to create a calculated field
- Only Koyfin Pro gives priority client support
Koyfin Pros & Cons
So, here’s a summary of Koyfin’s Pros and Cons.
- User-friendly platform
- Comprehensive financial data on global stock markets including Asia Pacific Markets, Middle East Markets, and European Markets
- Good stock screener using fundamental and financial metrics
- US mutual fund data
- Latest market news, corporate news, macroeconomic news, and company news
- News screener and alerts
- Delayed stock price
- Lack of side-by-side peer comparison table (i.e. comparing financial data)